Just for fun, let’s count the ways the Tea Party leadership has lost on the Affordable Care Act (a.k.a. Obamacare):
1. March 2010 – lost vote on passage of the federal statute
2. Obama signs the ACA into law March 23, 2010
3. Republican lead efforts failed 40+ times to repeal Obamacare…
4. June 2012 – Supreme Court upholds Obamacare and affirms that it is constitutional
5. November 2012 – President Obama wins second term as President of the United States – running on Obamacare as the primary part of his platform, and also running against Republican candidate who said he would, if elected, “repeal Obamacare on day one in office”.
6. Oct 1, 2013 – Republicans shut down the U.S. Government after attempting to attach a provisions that would delay or otherwise defund the ACA.
7. Oct 2, 2013 – Enough house Republicans begin to make public statements that they would pass a clean CR (a continuing resolution, that would NOT include any conditional provisions).
I think I see a trend.
Obama’s Approval Rating: 45%
Congress Approval Rating: 19%